DescriptionThe fifth edition of Bojar's Manual of Perioperative Care in Adult Cardiac Surgery remains the gold standard for management of adult patients undergoing cardiac surgery.
The easily referenced outline format allows health practitioners of all levels to understand and apply basic concepts to patient care--perfect for cardiothoracic and general surgery residents, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, cardiologists, medical students, and critical care nurses involved in the care of both routine and complex cardiac surgery patients.
This comprehensive guide features:
- Detailed presentation addressing all aspects of perioperative care for adult cardiac surgery patients
- Outline format allowing quick access to information
- Chronological approach to patient care starting with diagnostic tests then covering preoperative, intraoperative, and postoperative care issues
- Additional chapters discuss bleeding, the respiratory, cardiac, and renal subsystems as well as aspects of care specific to recovery on the postoperative floor
- Updated references, information on new drug indications and new evidence to support various treatment/management options.
Practical and accessible, this new edition of Manual of Perioperative Care in Adult Cardiac Surgery is the essential reference guide to cardiac surgical patient care.
1. Synopsis of Adult Cardiac Surgical Disease.
2. Diagnostic Techniques in Cardiac Surgery.
3. General Preoperative Considerations and Preparation of the Patient for Surgery.
4. Cardiac Anesthesia.
5. Cardiopulmonary Bypass.
6. Myocardial Protection.
7. Admission to the ICU and Monitoring Techniques.
8. Early Postoperative Care.
9. Mediastinal Bleeding.
10. Respiratory Management.
11. Cardiovascular Management.
12. Fluid Management, Renal, Metabolic, and Endocrine Problems.
13. Post-ICU Care and Other Complications.
Appendix 1A American College of Cardiology Classes of Recommendation and Levels of Evidence.
Appendix 1B New York Heart Association Functional Classification.
Appendix 2 Typical Preoperative Order Sheet.
Appendix 3 Typical Orders for Admission to the ICU.
Appendix 4 Typical Transfer Orders from the ICU.
Appendix 5 Typical ICU Flowsheet.
Appendix 6 Hyperglycemia Protocol for Cardiac Surgery Patients.
Appendix 7 Heparinization Protocol for Cardiac Surgery Patients.
Appendix 8 Protocol for Initiating Warfarin.
Appendix 9 INR Reversal Protocol.
Appendix 10 Drug, Food, and Dietary Supplement Interactions with Warfarin.
Appendix 11 Doses of Parenteral Medications Commonly Used in the ICU and Their Modification in Renal Failure.
Appendix 12 Doses of Nonparenteral Drugs Commonly Used After Heart Surgery and Their Modifications in Renal Failure.
Appendix 13 Definitions from the STS Data Specifications (Version 2.7 2011).
Appendix 14 Body Surface Area Nomogram.
Appendix 15 Body Mass Index Chart.
Appendix 16 Technique of Thoracentesis.
Appendix 17 Technique for Tube Thoracostomy.
Appendix 18 Technique of Insertion of Percutaneous Tracheostomy Tube.
“This edition, updated in light of recent technological advances, provides an up-to-date, easy-to-readreview, and contains sufficient detail to make it suitable as a single volume manual for cardiac surgical trainees or nurses.” (Cardiology News, 2012)""Surgeons are frequently asked to recommend a text that can be used to guide the care of their patients. This comprehensive text is the standard by which any other text should be judged. Every intensive care unit that treats adult open heart surgery patients should have several copies readily available at all times."" (Critical Care Medicine, 1 October 2011)
""This fifth edition of a popular manual has been extensively revised. It is densely packed with information in its 820 ages. . . Young trainees in cardiac surgery, anaesthesia and intensive care, will find this an invaluable resource."" (British Journal of Cardiology, 1 August 2011)
""This edition has been updated to incorporate current approaches to patient care."" (Booknews, 1 April 2011)