DescriptionIntroduction to Plant Physiology became the best-selling first edition plant physiology text of the 1990's! Now, we're building on the success of prior editions to provide an even more effective fourth edition. Plant Physiology has been praised for its excellent balance of traditional and modern topics, presented in a straightforward style, without overwhelming undergraduates with excessive detail. Its focus is on the ideas and experimental approaches in plant physiology. This is a one-semester course. It assumes that the student has had introductory biology or botany as a pre-requisite.
- Now in Four Color. For the first time ever, the book now has a four color illustration program to maximize student learning and understanding.
- Renewed Introductory Focus. Intent of the title is to serve the Introductory Student in a botanical program or for those schools that do not have botanical programs.
- Chapters have now been placed into self contained units. This allows faculty to use the text in which ever order of topics they prefer.
- New Chapter One. Chapter One has been rewritten to reduce the detail of cell structure and present a more general review of plant organization – Cells, Tissues.
- New Energy and Metabolism Section. This section now contains 6 chapters: Thermodynamic Principles, Photosynthesis, Respiration, Nitrogen metabolism, Environmental regulation of metabolism, and Allocation and partitioning of photoassimilates.
- Final Chapter on Integrated Systems. This final chapter will discuss systems biology and include topics such as placsticity, epigentics, etc….
- Lecture Powerpoint Presentations with embedded text art.
"Hopkins is concise and straightforward, emphasizing the 'big picture.' It is readable and the figures are clearly described and support the text. Students who use Hopkins come away with a strong foundation in basic principles for a range of areas."--Donald P, Briskin, University of Illinois
"Writing style is a real strength of this book. The level of detail is just right and the language is easy to follow."--Clemson University
- Complete presentation of basic concepts in plant physiology.
- Excellent balance of basic concepts and modern topics. Complete and comprehensive presentation of the core course material with some discussion of experimental material to highlight modern topics.
- Important examples and photographs are included in a beautiful, four-color section to enhance the visual nature of the text. These are crucial to student understanding of key concepts in the course.