Applied Calculus 5th Edition is praised for the creative and varied conceptual and modeling problems which motivate and challenge students. The 5th Edition of this market leading text exhibits the same strengths from earlier editions including the "Rule of Four," an emphasis on concepts and modeling, exposition that students can read and understand and a flexible approach to technology. Updated data and fresh applications throughout the book are designed to build student confidence with basic concepts and to reinforce skills. As in the previous edition, a Pre-test is included for students whose skills may need a refresher prior to taking the course.
Chapter 1. Functions and Change
Chapter 2. Rate of Change: The Derivative
Chapter 3. Shortcuts to Differentiation
Chapter 4. Using the Derivative
Chapter 5. Accumulated Change: The Definite Integral
Chapter 6. Antiderivatives and Applications
Chapter 7. Probability
Chapter 8. Functions of Several Variables
Chapter 9/ Mathematical Modeling using Differential Equations
Chapter 10. Geometric Series
- Updated data and fresh applications throughout the book, including new problems on sustainability.
- New case studies on medicine by David E. Sloane, MD.
- Many new problems have been added, designed to build student confidence with basic concepts and to reinforce skills.
- The material on integration has been streamlined and reorganized.
- Chapters 6 and 7 have been rearranged and combined, putting an introduction to antiderivatives before the applications to consumer surplus and present value. This gives instructors the choice of evaluating definite integrals numerically or using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.
- As in the previous edition, a Pre-test is included for students whose skills may need a refresher prior to taking the course.
- In additional to the new math functionality and administrative features you’ll find in the 5th edition of the Applied Calculus WileyPLUS course, the author team has been hard at work improving the assessment question content to further enhance the link between the text and the WileyPLUS course to help ensure a seamless experience for instructors and students.
- Pre-created assignments available to instructors for each section are based on the suggested assignments authors themselves use, and that are also available in the Instructor’s Manual.
- Each question has been checked for accuracy by the author team, including the testing of algorithmically-generated parameters and testing of tolerance levels.
- The hint for each question has been reviewed and rewritten where necessary to provide more descriptive guidance for students.
- The popular ConcepTests, questions designed to promote active learning during class which are modeled on the pioneering work of Harvard physicist Eric Mazur, are now available for automatic grading in WileyPLUS. Evaluation data shows that students taught with ConcepTests outperformed students taught by traditional lecture methods 73% versus 17% on conceptual questions, and 63% versus 54% on computational problems.